|By PR Newswire||
|January 18, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
BURLINGTON, Mass., Jan. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Two open source cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS) projects, two projects tailored to the needs of game developers, and a toolkit to aid social media application developers in the creation of web apps are stand-outs in the Black Duck Software 2011 Open Source Rookie of the Year list, announced today. The fourth annual Open Source Rookies of the Year program recognizes the top new open source projects initiated in 2011.
Using data on open source projects from Ohloh.net and the Black Duck® KnowledgeBase™, Black Duck reviewed thousands of open source projects started in 2011 to select the Open Source Rookies of the Year. Using a weighted scoring system, points were awarded based on commit activity (commits per day), size of the project team and the number of in-bound links to the project. Black Duck determined the top 10 projects following an audit of its findings and normalization of scores.
Highlights of this year's analysis include:
- Nine of the top 10 and 56 percent of the top 50 projects are now on GitHub. In 2010, just four of the top 10 and 32 percent of the top 50 projects were on GitHub, a major shift in just one year. In the balance of the top 50 projects, GoogleCode was the repository for 10 percent, followed by SourceForge at four percent.
- Three of the top 10 new projects in 2011 use the Apache License, Version 2.0, and one each chose the GPLv2, GNU AGPLv3, SpringSource License, Eclipse Public License, Mozilla Public License Version 1.1, WTFPL, and the Common Public Attribution License.
The Black Duck 2011 Open Source Rookies of the Year include:
- Bootstrap is a toolkit from Twitter designed to kickstart development of web applications and sites. It includes base CSS and HTML for typography, forms, buttons, tables, grids, navigation and more.
- BrowserID is part of Mozilla's exploration into an identity system that puts users in control, independent of any particular service provider. BrowserID is a secure, decentralized, open source, cross-browser way to sign onto websites using your email address. With BrowserID, users select from their various email addresses, giving them a consistent experience across all of their personas. BrowserID helps users keep their online experience secure and private through the browser by limiting the flow of information to what is strictly necessary to let users log in.
- Canvas is the only commercial open source learning management system and the only LMS native to the cloud. The Canvas LMS source code is primarily developed at Instructure, but is supported by a global community of developers that share Instructure's vision. Canvas leverages other modern technologies like HTML5, jQuery, OAuth, and numerous external service integrations. All of these high-performing best-of-the-web solutions, through Canvas, help educators and learners collaborate more effectively.
- Cloud Foundry is an open Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) providing a choice of clouds, developer frameworks and application services. Initiated by VMware with broad industry support, Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications. It is an open source project and is available through a variety of private cloud distributions and public cloud instances
- Moai, billed as the mobile platform for pro game developers, differentiates itself through its cloud-based game services and rapid development of iOS, Android, and Chrome titles, all built in the industry standard Lua scripting language. Moai developers appreciate the ability to write both client and server-side game logic without context switching or cross-team projects, as well as the open-source nature of the Moai SDK that ensures they can build titles without compromises. Previously announced game companies using Moai include Bungie Aerospace, Harebrained Schemes, DistinctDev, Go Go Kiddo and Nay Games.
- Mooege is an open source and freely available educational game server emulator written in C#.
- OpenShift is Red Hat's free, auto-scaling Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) built on open source technologies that enable developers to quickly deploy applications to the cloud. OpenShift supports many popular languages, frameworks and middleware components.
- Orion is a browser-based open tool integration platform built by the Eclipse platform team and focused on moving software development to the web as a web experience. Orion addresses the core coding activities (code editing, project navigation, search, and working with your source control system) and provides extensibility mechanisms to allow application level linking with other web-based tools.
- rstat.us - Microblogging has taken the world by storm, and rstat.us is the newest place to participate in the collective conscious of the planet. There are two things that make rstat.us special: simplicity and openness. Our interface is clean and easy to understand. We give you just enough features to be interesting, but not enough to be complicated and confusing. The programming code that makes up rstat.us is available for anyone to download, free of charge. Programmers can use that code to run their own websites just like rstat.us, and you can subscribe to your friends on any site that supports the OStatus protocol, like identi.ca. This also means that you can own your data: we'll never stop you from having full access to everything you've put into rstat.us.
- Salt is an open source configuration management and remote execution application. Salt is written with the intent of making central system management and configuration as simple, yet as flexible as possible. Salt is the core application of the saltstack project.
"The data underlying the 2011 Open Source Rookies list is consistent with shifts we see in our day-to-day business, where cloud, mobile and gaming draw great support from involved communities of open source developers," said Tim Yeaton, president and CEO of Black Duck Software, the leading global provider of strategy, products and services for enabling enterprise scale adoption of open source software. "The key observation – that open source is driving innovation across many industries – shows the power of the open source community model and the increasing importance of social development, where developers are supported by social communities connected through social media."
"Another example of the importance of evidence based assessment and decision making," said Stephen O'Grady, Principal Analyst and Co-founder, Redmonk. "The Black Duck Open Source Rookies of the Year program is an intriguing, quantitative measurement of project performance and traction."
In addition to the Open Source Rookies of the Year, Black Duck identified three projects that deserve Honorable Mention due to their outstanding rate of commits and team support. These include:
- Apache Rave, a podling under development in the Apache Incubator, Apache Rave is a new web and social mashup engine. It will provide an out-of-the-box as well as an extendible lightweight Java platform to host, serve and aggregate (Open)Social Gadgets and services through a highly customizable and Web 2.0 friendly front-end. Rave is targeted as an engine for internet and intranet portals and as a building block to provide context-aware personalization and collaboration features for multi-site/multi-channel (mobile) oriented and content driven websites and (social) network oriented services and platforms.
- OpenStack Dashboard, code-name Horizon provides a baseline user interface for managing OpenStack services. It is a reference implementation built using the django-openstack project which contains all of the core functionality needed to develop a site-specific implementation.
- Rudder is a new open source tool in the configuration management domain. Specifically aimed at drift assessment, it addresses automation, ongoing verification and repairs, centralizing information and knowledge about your infrastructure, compliance reporting thus helping to keep drift from nominal behavior low. In a nutshell, clearly separated tasks permit technical experts to create configuration templates for the tools they know best, thus letting non-experts leverage this power via a modern web interface, such as: architects or security officers who implement policy, junior sysadmins who use and reuse such policies to setup services, and pretty much anyone who digs into real-time compliance reports and error logs.
"Recognizing open source projects in their early stages is crucial to fostering the OSS community and encouraging innovation," said Jonathan Bryce, OpenStack Project Policy Board. OpenStack was a 2010 Open Source Rookie of the Year, and new core project OpenStack Dashboard, code-name Horizon, garnered Honorable Mention in 2011. "It is exciting to see OpenStack included in the Black Duck Open Source Rookie of the Year program for the second consecutive year."
For more information about the 2011 Black Duck Open Source Rookies of the Year, visit www.blackducksoftware.com/rookies. For more information about Black Duck Software, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck Software is the leading provider of strategy, products and services for automating the management, governance and secure use of open source software, at enterprise scale, in a multi-source development process. Black Duck enables companies to shorten time-to-solution and reduce development costs while mitigating the management, compliance and security challenges associated with open source software. Black Duck Software powers Koders.com, the industry's leading code search engine for open source, and Ohloh.net, the largest free public directory of open source software and a vibrant web community of free and open source software developers and users. Black Duck is among the 500 largest software companies in the world, according to Softwaremag.com. For more information, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
SOURCE Black Duck Software
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,535
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 434
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Mar. 31, 2015 11:46 AM EDT Reads: 295
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Mar. 31, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,200
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Mar. 31, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,283
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 31, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,683
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Mar. 31, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,101
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,541
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 30, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,566
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,179
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,962
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,539
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 928
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,520
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,862
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,281
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,886
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 29, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,468
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,229
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Mar. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,511