|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Continuing to drive innovation within its data management technology portfolio, Oracle today announced the release of Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0, a highly scalable, low latency, key-value database for real-time big data workloads.
- Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 adds efficient support for storage and retrieval of large objects such as documents and images, as well as dynamic elasticity and automatic rebalancing for allocating storage and compute resources in response to changing production data processing requirements.
- With tighter integration with both Oracle Database and Hadoop environments, Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 is designed to fit seamlessly into an enterprise IT stack.
- Oracle offers enterprise-class support for Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0, giving organizations the confidence and limited risk they need to deploy Oracle NoSQL Database into their business-critical production environments.
- Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 is available for download off Oracle Technology Network today.
Powerful and Flexible Transaction Model For Demanding High Velocity Transactional Applications
- A key component of Oracle's Big Data Platform, Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 is an enterprise grade, key-value database with flexible transaction models. It enables customers to easily manage high velocity transactional data generated by web-based applications, social media, sensors, smart meters and communications services.
- It is built using the proven Oracle Berkeley DB as the underlying storage engine. Oracle customers have built many mission-critical applications on Berkeley DB, serving millions of users.
- New and enhanced features in Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 include:
- Better Performance: enterprise-class elasticity with near linear scalability and under five millisecond latency enables users to dynamically grow a cluster as their data grows with no interruption in service. In recent performance tests, Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 delivered more than a million YCSB operations per second on a 2.4 terabyte database on an 18-node commodity cluster setup. (1)
- Automatic Rebalancing: dynamic management of compute and storage resources to maintain SLAs in response to increased demand and changing processing requirements;
- Enhanced Manageability: a simple, easy to use web console to manage all aspects of deployment and monitoring, as well as document management and structured data management in one product;
- New APIs: a new C API helps improve developer productivity, a new Large Object API supports efficient Large Object management, and new automatic serialization APIs simplify application development;
- Tighter Integration with Oracle Database: Oracle Database users can view and query Oracle NoSQL Database records directly from SQL via External Tables, making NoSQL data immediately accessible and available for integrated analysis;
- Improved Management & Monitoring Support: SNMP/JMX support enables integration with Oracle and third party management tools;
- Improved Hadoop Integration: tighter integration with Hadoop through JSON object and schema evolution support for data storage and serialization using Avro.
- "Oracle continues to drive innovation with its unmatched technology portfolio, encompassing all aspects of data management. Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 provides developers with that 'last mile' infrastructure to enable crucial real time interaction between an organization's applications and its customers," said Vaishnavi Sashikanth, vice president of development, Oracle. "It provides a key mechanism for enterprises to maximize the value of big data."
- "One of our customers needed an innovative new online gaming platform so we turned to Oracle NoSQL Database to deliver it for us," said James Anthony, Technology Director, e-DBA. "The high availability, rapid scaling and enterprise support were critical for e-DBA and we reduced planned implementation times by 75 percent, deploying sooner than expected. As a Specialized Oracle Platinum Partner, we are looking to further grow our expertise with Oracle NoSQL Database and help other customers take advantage of business opportunities with big data."
- "At Cox Communications we know first-hand the importance of running your business-critical big data applications on rock solid NoSQL technology to meet stringent response times and availability constraints," said Scott Seigler, vice president of engineering at Cox Digital Solutions. "We are excited about release 2.0 of Oracle's NoSQL solution with important features such as automatic resource balancing, elasticity and large object management functionality."
- About Oracle Big Data
- About Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle NoSQL Database Data Sheet
- Oracle NoSQL Database White Paper
- Follow Oracle NoSQL Database on Twitter
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
- Download a free evaluation version of Oracle NoSQL Database. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
(1) Performance result tested on the following system configuration: Oracle NoSQL Database 2.0 running on Oracle Enterprise Linux and 18 Dual socket Intel Xeon E5-2630L Servers, 2.0 GHz, 6 cores, hyper-threaded for 24 total threads, each processor using two 355GB SSDs.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,645
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,636
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,625
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,693
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, will discuss recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model f...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,991
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,286
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,498
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,975
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,117
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Sep. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,333
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, provided tips on how to be successful in large scale machine learning...
Sep. 27, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,894
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,160
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,447
Digital transformation is too big and important for our future success to not understand the rules that apply to it. The first three rules for winning in this age of hyper-digital transformation are: Advantages in speed, analytics and operational tempos must be captured by implementing an optimized information logistics system (OILS) Real-time operational tempos (IT, people and business processes) must be achieved Businesses that can "analyze data and act and with speed" will dominate those t...
Sep. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,161
The Jevons Paradox suggests that when technological advances increase efficiency of a resource, it results in an overall increase in consumption. Writing on the increased use of coal as a result of technological improvements, 19th-century economist William Stanley Jevons found that these improvements led to the development of new ways to utilize coal. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Thiele, Chief Strategy Officer for Apcera, will compare the Jevons Paradox to modern-day enterprise IT, e...
Sep. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,063
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Sep. 27, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,116
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,781
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,809
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,945
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,066