|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Empowering organizations to capitalize on the opportunity of big data to help transform their businesses, Oracle today announced new releases of Oracle Big Data Appliance and Oracle Big Data Connectors.
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 is a cost-effective, engineered system of hardware and software that has been upgraded to include Intel's new processors and the latest release of Cloudera's Distribution including Apache Hadoop (CDH) and Cloudera Manager, as well as the new Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance.
- Oracle Big Data Connectors have been enhanced to enable greater SQL access to Hadoop from Oracle Database and to enable more transparent access to Hadoop from R.
- When used in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalytics, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Oracle Big Data Connectors provides a full set of engineered systems to acquire, organize, and analyze big data. The latest releases provide more processing power, memory capacity, enhanced integration and management capabilities.
- Recently, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Funded Frederick National Library won the 2012 Government Big Data Solution Award for its work using the Oracle Big Data Appliance with the Cloudera Distribution of Apache Hadoop (CDH) to build an infrastructure capable of cross-referencing the relationships between 17,000 genes and five major cancer subtypes across 20 million biomedical publication abstracts.
Engineered System Simplifies Big Data for the Enterprise
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 hardware features the latest 8-core Intel® Xeon E5-2600 series of processors, and compared with previous generation, the 18 compute and storage servers with 648 TB raw storage now offer:
- 33 percent more processing power with 288 CPU cores;
- 33 percent more memory per node with 1.1 TB of main memory;
- and up to a 30 percent reduction in power and cooling
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 further simplifies implementation and management of big data by integrating all the hardware and software required to acquire, organize and analyze big data. It includes:
- Support for CDH4.1 including software upgrades developed collaboratively with Cloudera to simplify NameNode High Availability in Hadoop, eliminating the single point of failure in a Hadoop cluster;
- Oracle NoSQL Database Community Edition 2.0, the latest version that brings better Hadoop integration, elastic scaling and new APIs, including JSON and C support;
- The Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance that complements Cloudera Manager to enable users to more easily manage a Hadoop cluster;
- Updated distributions of Oracle Linux and Oracle Java Development Kit;
- An updated distribution of open source R, optimized to work with high performance multi-threaded math libraries
Connectors Integrate Hadoop with Oracle Big Data Ecosystem
- Oracle Big Data Connectors is a suite of software built by Oracle to integrate Apache Hadoop with Oracle Database, Oracle Data Integrator, and Oracle R Distribution.
- Enhancements to Oracle Big Data Connectors extend these data integration capabilities. With updates to every connector, this release includes:
- Oracle SQL Connector for Hadoop Distributed File System, for high performance SQL queries on Hadoop data from Oracle Database, enhanced with increased automation and querying of Hive tables and now supported within the Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop;
- Transparent access to the Hive Query language from R and introduction of new analytic techniques executing natively in Hadoop, enabling R developers to be more productive by increasing access to Hadoop in the R environment.
- "An influx of raw datasets are flooding every enterprise. However, before businesses can take advantage of the potential opportunity, they face a significant challenge in organizing these diverse data sources," said Cetin Ozbutun, vice president, Data Warehousing and Big Data Technologies, Oracle. "The latest updates further improve the abilities of our customers to optimize big data workloads and integrate them with their data warehouses to easily analyze all data throughout the enterprise."
- "Organizations are increasingly looking for mature, reliable enterprise-ready tools to support their big data initiatives," said Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. "Optimized for Hadoop, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Cloudera delivers an easy-to-manage Hadoop platform, designed to meet the Big Data needs of today's enterprise."
- Oracle and Big Data
- Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Oracle Advanced Analytics
- About Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle Big Data YouTube Series (Episodes 1 - 5)
- 2012 Government Big Data Solutions Award
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Cloudera, Cloudera CDH, and Cloudera Manager are registered and unregistered trademarks of Cloudera, Inc. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Mobile messaging has been a popular communication channel for more than 20 years. Finnish engineer Matti Makkonen invented the idea for SMS (Short Message Service) in 1984, making his vision a reality on December 3, 1992 by sending the first message ("Happy Christmas") from a PC to a cell phone. Since then, the technology has evolved immensely, from both a technology standpoint, and in our everyday uses for it. Originally used for person-to-person (P2P) communication, i.e., Sally sends a text message to Betty – mobile messaging now offers tremendous value to businesses for customer and empl...
Oct. 4, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 139
As enterprises capture more and more data of all types – structured, semi-structured, and unstructured – data discovery requirements for business intelligence (BI), Big Data, and predictive analytics initiatives grow more complex. A company’s ability to become data-driven and compete on analytics depends on the speed with which it can provision their analytics applications with all relevant information. The task of finding data has traditionally resided with IT, but now organizations increasingly turn towards data source discovery tools to find the right data, in context, for business users, d...
Oct. 4, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 337
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate at IBM Cloud Data Services, will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, faster user experience, both offline and online. The focus of this talk will be on IBM Cloudant, Apa...
Oct. 4, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 326
Organizations already struggle with the simple collection of data resulting from the proliferation of IoT, lacking the right infrastructure to manage it. They can't only rely on the cloud to collect and utilize this data because many applications still require dedicated infrastructure for security, redundancy, performance, etc. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Emil Sayegh, CEO of Codero Hosting, will discuss how in order to resolve the inherent issues, companies need to combine dedicated and cloud solutions through hybrid hosting – a sustainable solution for the data required to manage I...
Oct. 4, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 370
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 150 developers, designers, quality assurance engineers, project manage...
Oct. 4, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 653
The broad selection of hardware, the rapid evolution of operating systems and the time-to-market for mobile apps has been so rapid that new challenges for developers and engineers arise every day. Security, testing, hosting, and other metrics have to be considered through the process. In his session at Big Data Expo, Walter Maguire, Chief Field Technologist, HP Big Data Group, at Hewlett-Packard, will discuss the challenges faced by developers and a composite Big Data applications builder, focusing on how to help solve the problems that developers are continuously battling.
Oct. 4, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 314
Clearly the way forward is to move to cloud be it bare metal, VMs or containers. One aspect of the current public clouds that is slowing this cloud migration is cloud lock-in. Every cloud vendor is trying to make it very difficult to move out once a customer has chosen their cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Naveen Nimmu, CEO of Clouber, Inc., will advocate that making the inter-cloud migration as simple as changing airlines would help the entire industry to quickly adopt the cloud without worrying about any lock-in fears. In fact by having standard APIs for IaaS would help PaaS expl...
Oct. 3, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 353
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Raxak has been named “Media & Session Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Raxak Protect automates security compliance across private and public clouds. Using the SaaS tool or managed service, developers can deploy cloud apps quickly, cost-effectively, and without error.
Oct. 3, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 565
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the cloud and the best price/performance value available. ProfitBricks was named one of the coolest Clo...
Oct. 3, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 646
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 416
Learn how IoT, cloud, social networks and last but not least, humans, can be integrated into a seamless integration of cooperative organisms both cybernetic and biological. This has been enabled by recent advances in IoT device capabilities, messaging frameworks, presence and collaboration services, where devices can share information and make independent and human assisted decisions based upon social status from other entities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Heydt, founder of Seamless Thingies, will discuss and demonstrate how devices and humans can be integrated from a simple clust...
Oct. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 587
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, will discuss the impact of technology on identity. Should we federate, or not? How should identity be secured? Who owns the identity? How is identity ...
Oct. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 392
You have your devices and your data, but what about the rest of your Internet of Things story? Two popular classes of technologies that nicely handle the Big Data analytics for Internet of Things are Apache Hadoop and NoSQL. Hadoop is designed for parallelizing analytical work across many servers and is ideal for the massive data volumes you create with IoT devices. NoSQL databases such as Apache HBase are ideal for storing and retrieving IoT data as “time series data.”
Oct. 3, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 310
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Oct. 3, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 531
“The Internet of Things transforms the way organizations leverage machine data and gain insights from it,” noted Splunk’s CTO Snehal Antani, as Splunk announced accelerated momentum in Industrial Data and the IoT. The trend is driven by Splunk’s continued investment in its products and partner ecosystem as well as the creativity of customers and the flexibility to deploy Splunk IoT solutions as software, cloud services or in a hybrid environment. Customers are using Splunk® solutions to collect and correlate data from control systems, sensors, mobile devices and IT systems for a variety of Ind...
Oct. 3, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 535
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgeniakhela will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgeniakhela is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dramatically improve productivity, reduce collaboration costs, and increase the overall enterprise value by bringing ...
Oct. 2, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 532
Sensors and effectors of IoT are solving problems in new ways, but small businesses have been slow to join the quantified world. They’ll need information from IoT using applications as varied as the businesses themselves. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Meike, Distinguished Engineer, Director of Technology Innovation at Intuit, will show how IoT manufacturers can use open standards, public APIs and custom apps to enable the Quantified Small Business. He will use a Raspberry Pi to connect sensors to web services, and cloud integration to connect accounting and data, providing a Bluetooth...
Oct. 2, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 332
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Oct. 2, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 551
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 393
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Oct. 1, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,343