|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Empowering organizations to capitalize on the opportunity of big data to help transform their businesses, Oracle today announced new releases of Oracle Big Data Appliance and Oracle Big Data Connectors.
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 is a cost-effective, engineered system of hardware and software that has been upgraded to include Intel's new processors and the latest release of Cloudera's Distribution including Apache Hadoop (CDH) and Cloudera Manager, as well as the new Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance.
- Oracle Big Data Connectors have been enhanced to enable greater SQL access to Hadoop from Oracle Database and to enable more transparent access to Hadoop from R.
- When used in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalytics, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Oracle Big Data Connectors provides a full set of engineered systems to acquire, organize, and analyze big data. The latest releases provide more processing power, memory capacity, enhanced integration and management capabilities.
- Recently, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Funded Frederick National Library won the 2012 Government Big Data Solution Award for its work using the Oracle Big Data Appliance with the Cloudera Distribution of Apache Hadoop (CDH) to build an infrastructure capable of cross-referencing the relationships between 17,000 genes and five major cancer subtypes across 20 million biomedical publication abstracts.
Engineered System Simplifies Big Data for the Enterprise
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 hardware features the latest 8-core Intel® Xeon E5-2600 series of processors, and compared with previous generation, the 18 compute and storage servers with 648 TB raw storage now offer:
- 33 percent more processing power with 288 CPU cores;
- 33 percent more memory per node with 1.1 TB of main memory;
- and up to a 30 percent reduction in power and cooling
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 further simplifies implementation and management of big data by integrating all the hardware and software required to acquire, organize and analyze big data. It includes:
- Support for CDH4.1 including software upgrades developed collaboratively with Cloudera to simplify NameNode High Availability in Hadoop, eliminating the single point of failure in a Hadoop cluster;
- Oracle NoSQL Database Community Edition 2.0, the latest version that brings better Hadoop integration, elastic scaling and new APIs, including JSON and C support;
- The Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance that complements Cloudera Manager to enable users to more easily manage a Hadoop cluster;
- Updated distributions of Oracle Linux and Oracle Java Development Kit;
- An updated distribution of open source R, optimized to work with high performance multi-threaded math libraries
Connectors Integrate Hadoop with Oracle Big Data Ecosystem
- Oracle Big Data Connectors is a suite of software built by Oracle to integrate Apache Hadoop with Oracle Database, Oracle Data Integrator, and Oracle R Distribution.
- Enhancements to Oracle Big Data Connectors extend these data integration capabilities. With updates to every connector, this release includes:
- Oracle SQL Connector for Hadoop Distributed File System, for high performance SQL queries on Hadoop data from Oracle Database, enhanced with increased automation and querying of Hive tables and now supported within the Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop;
- Transparent access to the Hive Query language from R and introduction of new analytic techniques executing natively in Hadoop, enabling R developers to be more productive by increasing access to Hadoop in the R environment.
- "An influx of raw datasets are flooding every enterprise. However, before businesses can take advantage of the potential opportunity, they face a significant challenge in organizing these diverse data sources," said Cetin Ozbutun, vice president, Data Warehousing and Big Data Technologies, Oracle. "The latest updates further improve the abilities of our customers to optimize big data workloads and integrate them with their data warehouses to easily analyze all data throughout the enterprise."
- "Organizations are increasingly looking for mature, reliable enterprise-ready tools to support their big data initiatives," said Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. "Optimized for Hadoop, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Cloudera delivers an easy-to-manage Hadoop platform, designed to meet the Big Data needs of today's enterprise."
- Oracle and Big Data
- Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Oracle Advanced Analytics
- About Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle Big Data YouTube Series (Episodes 1 - 5)
- 2012 Government Big Data Solutions Award
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Cloudera, Cloudera CDH, and Cloudera Manager are registered and unregistered trademarks of Cloudera, Inc. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 8, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 1,276
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 AM EST Reads: 1,404
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 8, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,113
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 8, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 1,333
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,004
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 7, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 861
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,194
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 7, 2016 08:15 PM EST Reads: 2,216
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 936
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,760
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 7, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,683
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 404
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 7, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 2,271
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,790
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 948
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 4,325
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,399
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,143
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,204
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,135