|By Marketwired .||
|February 5, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/05/13 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle today announced the general availability of MySQL 5.6, the world's most popular open-source database.
- With increased performance, scalability, reliability and manageability, MySQL 5.6 helps users meet the most demanding Web, Cloud and embedded application requirements.
- MySQL 5.6 improves developer agility with subquery optimizations, online Data Definition Language (DDL) operations, NoSQL access to InnoDB, new instrumentation in Performance Schema and better condition handling.
- For more details, join the MySQL Technology Update webcast on Feb 14 at 10:00 a.m. US, Pacific Time.
- In addition, Oracle is hosting the first Virtual Develop Day for MySQL on March 12 at 9:00 a.m. US, Pacific Time. The event will include presentations and hands-on labs to educate MySQL users on essential skills and the latest features in Oracle MySQL 5.6. Register here.
Continued Innovations for the MySQL Community
- New features and enhancements in MySQL 5.6 are available to MySQL users in the MySQL Community Edition.
- MySQL 5.6 provides enhanced linear scalability, helping users to leverage modern hardware capabilities.
- With this version, users can experience simplified query development and faster execution, better transactional throughput and application availability, flexible NoSQL access, improved replication and enhanced instrumentation.
- Highlights of MySQL 5.6 include:
- Better Query Execution Times and Diagnostics provided through an enhanced MySQL Optimizer diagnostics:
- Subquery Optimizations: simplify query development by optimizing subqueries prior to execution. New efficiencies in how result sets are selected, sorted and returned deliver substantial improvement in query execution times.
- The Addition of Index Condition Pushdown (ICP) and Batch Key Access (BKA): can improve selected query throughput by up to 280x(1).
- Enhanced Optimizer Diagnostics: with EXPLAIN for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE operations. EXPLAIN plan output in JSON format delivers more precise optimizer metrics and better readability, and Optimizer Traces enables to track the optimizer decision-making process.
- Greater Performance Throughput and Application Availability with an improved InnoDB storage engine:
- Up to 230 Percent Improvement in Transactional and Read Only Throughput: InnoDB has been re-factored to minimize legacy threading, flushing, and purge mutex contentions and bottlenecks, enabling better concurrency on heavily loaded OLTP systems, and resulting in significantly improved throughput for both transactional and read only workloads(2).
- Enhanced Availability: online DDL operations enable DBAs to add indexes and perform table alterations while the application remains available for updates.
- Full-Text Search with InnoDB: allows developers to build FULLTEXT indexes on InnoDB tables to represent text-based content and speed up application searches for words and phrases.
- Simple, Key Value Lookup: flexible NoSQL access to InnoDB provides simple, key-value lookup of InnoDB data via the familiar Memcached API. Users get the "best of both worlds," combining key-value operations and complex SQL queries in the same database.
- Improved Scale-Out and High Availability: with new features in MySQL replication including:
- Self-Healing Replication Clusters: the addition of Global Transaction Identifiers and Utilities make it simple to automatically detect and recover from failures. Crash-Safe Replication enables the binary log and slaves to automatically recover correct positions in the replication stream in case of a crash, and resume replication without administrator intervention. Checksums maintain data integrity across the cluster by automatically detecting and alerting on errors.
- High Performance Replication Clusters: up to 5 times faster replication through Multi-Threaded Slaves(3), Binlog Group Commit and Optimized Row-Based Replication enable users to maximize the performance and efficiency of replication as they scale-out their workloads across commodity systems.
- Time-delayed Replication: provides protection against operational errors made on the master, for example accidentally dropping tables.
- Enhanced PERFORMANCE_SCHEMA: new instrumentation enables users to better monitor most resource intensive queries, objects, users and applications. New summaries with aggregated statistics grouped by query, thread, user, host and object are also available. The enhancements allow for easier default configuration with less than five percent overhead.
- Better Query Execution Times and Diagnostics provided through an enhanced MySQL Optimizer diagnostics:
- MySQL 5.6 includes a number of additional enhancements including Geographic Information Systems - Precise Spatial operations, improved IPv6 compliance and optimized server defaults.
- "MySQL 5.6 Release Candidate received great feedback from the community and helped us to efficiently mature the technology to announce General Availability," said Tomas Ulin, vice president of MySQL Engineering. "The new features and enhancements that MySQL 5.6 delivers further demonstrate Oracle's investment in driving MySQL innovation, making MySQL a fantastic fit for today's most demanding Web, Cloud and embedded application requirements."
- "With this latest release, Oracle shows its ongoing commitment to the MySQL community," said Carl Olofson, research vice president for Database Management and Data Integration Software at IDC. "These are significant advances in MySQL technology, enabling this open source RDBMS to meet the needs and exceed the expectations of its large and growing body of users."
- "We have experienced tremendous demand for our MySQL cloud services over the past year," said Brent Juelich, senior director, Managed Services, Savvis. "Considering the dramatic performance improvements and the new features available in MySQL 5.6, along with the added value of MySQL Enterprise Edition, we fully anticipate even more interest in these offerings in the future."
- Oracle and MySQL
- MySQL 5.6 is available for immediate download at: http://www.mysql.com/downloads/. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
- MySQL Blog, Twitter, Facebook
- MySQL Community Edition
- MySQL Enterprise Edition
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This document is for informational purposes only and may not be incorporated into a contract or agreement.
(1) Based on DBT-3 benchmarks, for configuration and testing information see http://oysteing.blogspot.com/2011/10/bacthed-key-access-speeds-up-disk-bound.html
(3) Based on a configuration with 10 databases/schemas. For configuration and testing information, see https://blogs.oracle.com/MySQL/entry/benchmarking_mysql_replication_with_multi
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,318
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,253
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,227
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,876
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,382
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,250
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,025
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,223
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,723
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,188
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,656
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,424
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,727
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 655
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, will discuss the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They will also review two "free infrastruct...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 351
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,309
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,242
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 958
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls...
Oct. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 361
Although it has gained significant traction in the consumer space, IoT is still in the early stages of adoption in enterprises environments. However, many companies are working on initiatives like Industry 4.0 that includes IoT as one of the key disruptive technologies expected to reshape businesses of tomorrow. The key challenges will be availability, robustness and reliability of networks that connect devices in a business environment. Software Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is expected to...
Oct. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,293