|By Bob Gourley||
|April 11, 2014 03:52 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
This is a follow on to our post on planning your time at the Geoint Symposium.
With this post I want to make some technology recommendations that may be helpful to you as you plan out your time at the Geoint Symposium 14-17 Apr.
There are so many great firms on the expo floor you cannot possibly spend time with all of them. You really need to approach the floor with a strategy. Plan your visit in advance. Do that by going to the Geoint Symposium Expo website at: http://geoint2013.com/expo
You will find a list of exhibitors there, and also a map you can use to refine which ones you want to catch up with.
Let me share my personal list. I recommend you visit every one of these firms so you can get the latest on some very virtuous technologies:
1) Carahsoft. Visiting Carahsoft is like visiting 150 companies at once. They make it a point to learn technologies and to provide demos and information on the greats. So, if you only had one booth to visit on the expo floor, this would be it. You will find Mike Shrader there and he really does know every technology in their entire portfolio. Quiz him! While there, be sure to ask about: Optensity (say hello to CEO Pam Arya) and Pentaho (great for connecting all info sources in the modern enterprise into an open integration framework). I’m hoping they also have a Recorded Future demo available.
2) MongoDB (cross platform document oriented database). I’m sure you know these guys, but we should all learn what the latest is with their version 2.6, which seems to be the enterprise-grade version many have been waiting for. Ask these guys how well they work with other solutions (including Pentaho).
3) Cloudera (100% Apache-licensed open source CDH is the only distribution that offers batch processing, interactive SQL, interactive search, and role-based access controls. Cloudera also offers enterprise grade management tools). The thing to learn from these guys is what the enterprise data hub is doing for enterprises right now. Also take time to learn about how auditing and data providence works.
4) Sitscape Very powerful web based software for visual, on-demand situational awareness, agile business-user-centric big data analytics/correlation, contextual collaboration and real-time information sharing. You must see it to believe it (I’m very proud to be on their advisory board, check them out to see why: Here is a recent blog about SitScape). It may also be a good idea to check out SitScape via the Technical Innovation booth on the expo floor, according to this press release they have an awesome secure collaboration and data visualization setup at Geoint and I believe SitScape is part of this.
5) Spacecurve From a team that has built large-scale distributed database for real-time geospatial system (including J. Andrew Rogers, CTO) comes a real-time platform with incredible scale. Visit them and ask them if it can really be possible to deliver immediately actionable data at petabyte levels, at real time speeds. I’m also a proud advisor to these thought leaders. Tell them I said hello when you see them.
6) KEYW Corporation Although there are many good reasons to see this very virtuous firm, the most important, in my mind, is the new capability they created to alter the equation in the computer security world. Through investment in time, intellectual capital and acquisition of a precisely selected set of very virtuous companies KEYW has built a company called Hexis Cyber. What they are doing has blown me away. If you are involved in enterprise IT in any capacity you absolutely must see their HawkEye G and related tools suite. Ask them how well they work with existing cyber security solutions including SIEMs. Also ask if it is possible to remove malware at speed (that will be an easy question for them to knock out of the park).
7) CSC These guys are big and into many things. The reason to swing by their booth is to look for a guy named Matt Carroll. Matt’s company, 42six, has a history of producing incredibly virtuous solutions that operate at scale, fast. As him what he is doing and I’m sure you will be amazed.
8) Northrop Grumman I used to work for these champions and I know their spirit and can’t wait to see what they are demonstrating here. I just spent time with a large group of them yesterday briefing them on how to make the most of their CTOvision Pro subscription. So of course I have to spend time with them at Geoint.
9) The other great integrator champions: The Geoint Symposium is a great way to find out the latest that the integrators are providing. It is also good for tech firms to interact with the integrators for teaming discussions. Some of my favorites include: Leidos, Boeing, L-3, General Dynamics, Lockheed, and Thermopylae (more than just an integrator, a great provider of mission-focused solutions).
10) Skybox Imaging: I am pretty sure they are coming because they want to talk about their Geospatial capabilities. But frankly I’m more interested in their approach to Big Data, which leverages Cloudera. I plan on asking them more about that.
11) Dwave: I have seem these guys multiple times, including at In-Q-Tel. It blows me away to think about what they do. They made quantum computing real. Between you and me, I believe Dwave really needs integrator partners to turn what they do into real solutions, but the good news is that at Geoint they will probably find some.
12) Google. They do so much in the geospatial domain it is always good to see what they are up to. I plan on wearing my Google Glass to the event so I’ll swing by their booth with it on and see if they give me a warm welcome!
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,467
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,544
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,687
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 820
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 862
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 939
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,762
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 25, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,537
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,485
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,499
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,668
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 25, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,808
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 998
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,517
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,386
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,355
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,719
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,219
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,933
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,041