|By Bob Gourley||
|April 11, 2014 03:52 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
This is a follow on to our post on planning your time at the Geoint Symposium.
With this post I want to make some technology recommendations that may be helpful to you as you plan out your time at the Geoint Symposium 14-17 Apr.
There are so many great firms on the expo floor you cannot possibly spend time with all of them. You really need to approach the floor with a strategy. Plan your visit in advance. Do that by going to the Geoint Symposium Expo website at: http://geoint2013.com/expo
You will find a list of exhibitors there, and also a map you can use to refine which ones you want to catch up with.
Let me share my personal list. I recommend you visit every one of these firms so you can get the latest on some very virtuous technologies:
1) Carahsoft. Visiting Carahsoft is like visiting 150 companies at once. They make it a point to learn technologies and to provide demos and information on the greats. So, if you only had one booth to visit on the expo floor, this would be it. You will find Mike Shrader there and he really does know every technology in their entire portfolio. Quiz him! While there, be sure to ask about: Optensity (say hello to CEO Pam Arya) and Pentaho (great for connecting all info sources in the modern enterprise into an open integration framework). I’m hoping they also have a Recorded Future demo available.
2) MongoDB (cross platform document oriented database). I’m sure you know these guys, but we should all learn what the latest is with their version 2.6, which seems to be the enterprise-grade version many have been waiting for. Ask these guys how well they work with other solutions (including Pentaho).
3) Cloudera (100% Apache-licensed open source CDH is the only distribution that offers batch processing, interactive SQL, interactive search, and role-based access controls. Cloudera also offers enterprise grade management tools). The thing to learn from these guys is what the enterprise data hub is doing for enterprises right now. Also take time to learn about how auditing and data providence works.
4) Sitscape Very powerful web based software for visual, on-demand situational awareness, agile business-user-centric big data analytics/correlation, contextual collaboration and real-time information sharing. You must see it to believe it (I’m very proud to be on their advisory board, check them out to see why: Here is a recent blog about SitScape). It may also be a good idea to check out SitScape via the Technical Innovation booth on the expo floor, according to this press release they have an awesome secure collaboration and data visualization setup at Geoint and I believe SitScape is part of this.
5) Spacecurve From a team that has built large-scale distributed database for real-time geospatial system (including J. Andrew Rogers, CTO) comes a real-time platform with incredible scale. Visit them and ask them if it can really be possible to deliver immediately actionable data at petabyte levels, at real time speeds. I’m also a proud advisor to these thought leaders. Tell them I said hello when you see them.
6) KEYW Corporation Although there are many good reasons to see this very virtuous firm, the most important, in my mind, is the new capability they created to alter the equation in the computer security world. Through investment in time, intellectual capital and acquisition of a precisely selected set of very virtuous companies KEYW has built a company called Hexis Cyber. What they are doing has blown me away. If you are involved in enterprise IT in any capacity you absolutely must see their HawkEye G and related tools suite. Ask them how well they work with existing cyber security solutions including SIEMs. Also ask if it is possible to remove malware at speed (that will be an easy question for them to knock out of the park).
7) CSC These guys are big and into many things. The reason to swing by their booth is to look for a guy named Matt Carroll. Matt’s company, 42six, has a history of producing incredibly virtuous solutions that operate at scale, fast. As him what he is doing and I’m sure you will be amazed.
8) Northrop Grumman I used to work for these champions and I know their spirit and can’t wait to see what they are demonstrating here. I just spent time with a large group of them yesterday briefing them on how to make the most of their CTOvision Pro subscription. So of course I have to spend time with them at Geoint.
9) The other great integrator champions: The Geoint Symposium is a great way to find out the latest that the integrators are providing. It is also good for tech firms to interact with the integrators for teaming discussions. Some of my favorites include: Leidos, Boeing, L-3, General Dynamics, Lockheed, and Thermopylae (more than just an integrator, a great provider of mission-focused solutions).
10) Skybox Imaging: I am pretty sure they are coming because they want to talk about their Geospatial capabilities. But frankly I’m more interested in their approach to Big Data, which leverages Cloudera. I plan on asking them more about that.
11) Dwave: I have seem these guys multiple times, including at In-Q-Tel. It blows me away to think about what they do. They made quantum computing real. Between you and me, I believe Dwave really needs integrator partners to turn what they do into real solutions, but the good news is that at Geoint they will probably find some.
12) Google. They do so much in the geospatial domain it is always good to see what they are up to. I plan on wearing my Google Glass to the event so I’ll swing by their booth with it on and see if they give me a warm welcome!
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,933
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,090
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,061
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,263
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,216
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,880
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 778
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,115
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,513
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 758
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,855
What are the successful IoT innovations from emerging markets? What are the unique challenges and opportunities from these markets? How did the constraints in connectivity among others lead to groundbreaking insights? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Carmen Feliciano, a Principal at AMDG, will answer all these questions and share how you can apply IoT best practices and frameworks from the emerging markets to your own business.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,700
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,598
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,132
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 27, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,265
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,984
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,151
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,310
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 11,138