|By Bob Gourley||
|April 11, 2014 03:52 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
This is a follow on to our post on planning your time at the Geoint Symposium.
With this post I want to make some technology recommendations that may be helpful to you as you plan out your time at the Geoint Symposium 14-17 Apr.
There are so many great firms on the expo floor you cannot possibly spend time with all of them. You really need to approach the floor with a strategy. Plan your visit in advance. Do that by going to the Geoint Symposium Expo website at: http://geoint2013.com/expo
You will find a list of exhibitors there, and also a map you can use to refine which ones you want to catch up with.
Let me share my personal list. I recommend you visit every one of these firms so you can get the latest on some very virtuous technologies:
1) Carahsoft. Visiting Carahsoft is like visiting 150 companies at once. They make it a point to learn technologies and to provide demos and information on the greats. So, if you only had one booth to visit on the expo floor, this would be it. You will find Mike Shrader there and he really does know every technology in their entire portfolio. Quiz him! While there, be sure to ask about: Optensity (say hello to CEO Pam Arya) and Pentaho (great for connecting all info sources in the modern enterprise into an open integration framework). I’m hoping they also have a Recorded Future demo available.
2) MongoDB (cross platform document oriented database). I’m sure you know these guys, but we should all learn what the latest is with their version 2.6, which seems to be the enterprise-grade version many have been waiting for. Ask these guys how well they work with other solutions (including Pentaho).
3) Cloudera (100% Apache-licensed open source CDH is the only distribution that offers batch processing, interactive SQL, interactive search, and role-based access controls. Cloudera also offers enterprise grade management tools). The thing to learn from these guys is what the enterprise data hub is doing for enterprises right now. Also take time to learn about how auditing and data providence works.
4) Sitscape Very powerful web based software for visual, on-demand situational awareness, agile business-user-centric big data analytics/correlation, contextual collaboration and real-time information sharing. You must see it to believe it (I’m very proud to be on their advisory board, check them out to see why: Here is a recent blog about SitScape). It may also be a good idea to check out SitScape via the Technical Innovation booth on the expo floor, according to this press release they have an awesome secure collaboration and data visualization setup at Geoint and I believe SitScape is part of this.
5) Spacecurve From a team that has built large-scale distributed database for real-time geospatial system (including J. Andrew Rogers, CTO) comes a real-time platform with incredible scale. Visit them and ask them if it can really be possible to deliver immediately actionable data at petabyte levels, at real time speeds. I’m also a proud advisor to these thought leaders. Tell them I said hello when you see them.
6) KEYW Corporation Although there are many good reasons to see this very virtuous firm, the most important, in my mind, is the new capability they created to alter the equation in the computer security world. Through investment in time, intellectual capital and acquisition of a precisely selected set of very virtuous companies KEYW has built a company called Hexis Cyber. What they are doing has blown me away. If you are involved in enterprise IT in any capacity you absolutely must see their HawkEye G and related tools suite. Ask them how well they work with existing cyber security solutions including SIEMs. Also ask if it is possible to remove malware at speed (that will be an easy question for them to knock out of the park).
7) CSC These guys are big and into many things. The reason to swing by their booth is to look for a guy named Matt Carroll. Matt’s company, 42six, has a history of producing incredibly virtuous solutions that operate at scale, fast. As him what he is doing and I’m sure you will be amazed.
8) Northrop Grumman I used to work for these champions and I know their spirit and can’t wait to see what they are demonstrating here. I just spent time with a large group of them yesterday briefing them on how to make the most of their CTOvision Pro subscription. So of course I have to spend time with them at Geoint.
9) The other great integrator champions: The Geoint Symposium is a great way to find out the latest that the integrators are providing. It is also good for tech firms to interact with the integrators for teaming discussions. Some of my favorites include: Leidos, Boeing, L-3, General Dynamics, Lockheed, and Thermopylae (more than just an integrator, a great provider of mission-focused solutions).
10) Skybox Imaging: I am pretty sure they are coming because they want to talk about their Geospatial capabilities. But frankly I’m more interested in their approach to Big Data, which leverages Cloudera. I plan on asking them more about that.
11) Dwave: I have seem these guys multiple times, including at In-Q-Tel. It blows me away to think about what they do. They made quantum computing real. Between you and me, I believe Dwave really needs integrator partners to turn what they do into real solutions, but the good news is that at Geoint they will probably find some.
12) Google. They do so much in the geospatial domain it is always good to see what they are up to. I plan on wearing my Google Glass to the event so I’ll swing by their booth with it on and see if they give me a warm welcome!
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,109
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,089
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,977
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:50 AM EDT Reads: 195
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,262
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,467
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,356
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,014
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,400
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,172
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 25, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,236
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,259
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,881
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,495
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,282
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,514
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,967
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,131
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,472