|By Bob Gourley||
|April 11, 2014 03:52 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
This is a follow on to our post on planning your time at the Geoint Symposium.
With this post I want to make some technology recommendations that may be helpful to you as you plan out your time at the Geoint Symposium 14-17 Apr.
There are so many great firms on the expo floor you cannot possibly spend time with all of them. You really need to approach the floor with a strategy. Plan your visit in advance. Do that by going to the Geoint Symposium Expo website at: http://geoint2013.com/expo
You will find a list of exhibitors there, and also a map you can use to refine which ones you want to catch up with.
Let me share my personal list. I recommend you visit every one of these firms so you can get the latest on some very virtuous technologies:
1) Carahsoft. Visiting Carahsoft is like visiting 150 companies at once. They make it a point to learn technologies and to provide demos and information on the greats. So, if you only had one booth to visit on the expo floor, this would be it. You will find Mike Shrader there and he really does know every technology in their entire portfolio. Quiz him! While there, be sure to ask about: Optensity (say hello to CEO Pam Arya) and Pentaho (great for connecting all info sources in the modern enterprise into an open integration framework). I’m hoping they also have a Recorded Future demo available.
2) MongoDB (cross platform document oriented database). I’m sure you know these guys, but we should all learn what the latest is with their version 2.6, which seems to be the enterprise-grade version many have been waiting for. Ask these guys how well they work with other solutions (including Pentaho).
3) Cloudera (100% Apache-licensed open source CDH is the only distribution that offers batch processing, interactive SQL, interactive search, and role-based access controls. Cloudera also offers enterprise grade management tools). The thing to learn from these guys is what the enterprise data hub is doing for enterprises right now. Also take time to learn about how auditing and data providence works.
4) Sitscape Very powerful web based software for visual, on-demand situational awareness, agile business-user-centric big data analytics/correlation, contextual collaboration and real-time information sharing. You must see it to believe it (I’m very proud to be on their advisory board, check them out to see why: Here is a recent blog about SitScape). It may also be a good idea to check out SitScape via the Technical Innovation booth on the expo floor, according to this press release they have an awesome secure collaboration and data visualization setup at Geoint and I believe SitScape is part of this.
5) Spacecurve From a team that has built large-scale distributed database for real-time geospatial system (including J. Andrew Rogers, CTO) comes a real-time platform with incredible scale. Visit them and ask them if it can really be possible to deliver immediately actionable data at petabyte levels, at real time speeds. I’m also a proud advisor to these thought leaders. Tell them I said hello when you see them.
6) KEYW Corporation Although there are many good reasons to see this very virtuous firm, the most important, in my mind, is the new capability they created to alter the equation in the computer security world. Through investment in time, intellectual capital and acquisition of a precisely selected set of very virtuous companies KEYW has built a company called Hexis Cyber. What they are doing has blown me away. If you are involved in enterprise IT in any capacity you absolutely must see their HawkEye G and related tools suite. Ask them how well they work with existing cyber security solutions including SIEMs. Also ask if it is possible to remove malware at speed (that will be an easy question for them to knock out of the park).
7) CSC These guys are big and into many things. The reason to swing by their booth is to look for a guy named Matt Carroll. Matt’s company, 42six, has a history of producing incredibly virtuous solutions that operate at scale, fast. As him what he is doing and I’m sure you will be amazed.
8) Northrop Grumman I used to work for these champions and I know their spirit and can’t wait to see what they are demonstrating here. I just spent time with a large group of them yesterday briefing them on how to make the most of their CTOvision Pro subscription. So of course I have to spend time with them at Geoint.
9) The other great integrator champions: The Geoint Symposium is a great way to find out the latest that the integrators are providing. It is also good for tech firms to interact with the integrators for teaming discussions. Some of my favorites include: Leidos, Boeing, L-3, General Dynamics, Lockheed, and Thermopylae (more than just an integrator, a great provider of mission-focused solutions).
10) Skybox Imaging: I am pretty sure they are coming because they want to talk about their Geospatial capabilities. But frankly I’m more interested in their approach to Big Data, which leverages Cloudera. I plan on asking them more about that.
11) Dwave: I have seem these guys multiple times, including at In-Q-Tel. It blows me away to think about what they do. They made quantum computing real. Between you and me, I believe Dwave really needs integrator partners to turn what they do into real solutions, but the good news is that at Geoint they will probably find some.
12) Google. They do so much in the geospatial domain it is always good to see what they are up to. I plan on wearing my Google Glass to the event so I’ll swing by their booth with it on and see if they give me a warm welcome!
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 969
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 655
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,507
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,003
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 861
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,193
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,155
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,160
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 471
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,277
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,225
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,213
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 661
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,079
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,041
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 867
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,326
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,585
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,349
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,242