|By Business Wire||
|June 3, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it has extended its longstanding collaboration with SAP and is introducing several new Dell solutions that enable customers to simplify their environments running SAP® solutions without business disruption, moving to a real-time cloud-ready platform that applies the right level of performance to the needs of the application.
By extending its leadership to open-architecture and virtualized environments, leveraging unique IP from its software acquisitions and introducing new service offerings, the new Dell solutions help customers make more strategic business decisions and get a better handle on rising data demands.
Dell’s PowerEdge R920 has been certified by SAP for scale-up deployments of the SAP HANA® platform, which allows easy scaling of server memory capacity in deployments and helps reduce the need to “rip and replace” when systems are upgraded. This gives customers the ability to buy what they need today, with the confidence that their infrastructure can keep pace as their needs increase.
In collaboration with VMware and Red Hat, Dell is helping customers move their SAP solutions closer to the cloud with new virtual-environment and broader open-architecture support for SAP HANA. This gives customers the freedom to incorporate modern technologies into their mission-critical application environments without having to choose between price and performance. The new offerings include:
- Support for virtualized instances of SAP HANA in production environments: All single-server appliances for SAP HANA based on the Dell PowerEdge R920 now fully support SAP HANA and VMware vSphere® 5.5 in production environments. By extending the capabilities of SAP HANA and VMware vSphere beyond testing and development, customers can now further manage their environments running SAP HANA using the same tools they use to manage their VMware-virtualized datacenter, saving time and IT costs.
- Support for running SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: To maintain consistency in customers’ server environments, Dell worked with SAP to certify the PowerEdge R920 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in addition to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for running SAP HANA. Customers now have the option to choose the operating system that best suits their data-center standards and needs, allowing for better allocation of limited resources.
In addition, the Dell PowerEdge R920 and R910 servers have been certified by SAP to run SAP HANA and Dell Compellent storage has been certified as a storage solution for SAP HANA. These certifications enable Dell to participate in SAP’s program for SAP HANA tailored data center integration using these certified solutions. Through participation in the program, customers can leverage their existing Dell hardware and infrastructure components for their SAP HANA-based environments, providing further choice for organizations even when working in heterogeneous environments.
Dell’s other recent database achievements in support of SAP solutions include:
- World record-performance on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark for both two- and four-processor systems running Linux and SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE)*.
- Extensive integration achieved between Hadoop and SAP HANA, as well as reference architectures for the analysis of unstructured data.
Dell introduces non-disruptive transformation services for environments running SAP solutions
Dell Services announced two new offerings for SAP solutions that ease and accelerate the modernization of mission-critical environments, enabling customers to update and overhaul their technology infrastructure to support more agile business-oriented landscapes and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Dell ZeroIMPACT Migration Services for SAP HANA: Customers can transition from outdated IT environments to contemporary environments, including those running SAP HANA, with minimal downtime and reduced risk. After evaluating legacy and new environments side-by-side, the legacy environment continues running while migration activities take place. Dell’s enterprise software solutions, including SharePlex and Foglight, capture and queue all transactions occurring during the migration and then sync them to the migrated system.
- Dell Test Harness Modernization Assessment for SAP HANA: By providing a side-by-side database comparison with SAP HANA and Dell’s Managed Virtual Hosting Datacenter, customers can perform technical validation in less than four weeks, improve business efficiency and achieve higher return on investment by getting more value from their implementations of SAP HANA.
Dell unveils specialized manufacturing solution
Dell is expanding its support of SAP HANA into the manufacturing environment with its Dell Services Shop Floor solution. This solution integrates with the SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) and SAP Manufacturing Execution applications on SAP HANA, and is deployable on standard or ruggedized Dell Venue Pro tablet devices running Windows 8 software and Microsoft Office 365. This provides enterprise and plant personnel with the intelligence and visibility to respond quickly to disruptions in the manufacturing process and provide them with the information and tools required to return the process to conformance. It also enables customers to:
- Create a paperless shop and digitize business processes with Dell Venue Pro tablets running Windows 8 software
- Standardize enterprise resource planning (ERP) and third party-system connectivity
- Integrate machine data across multiple platforms into a cohesive landscape, available for predictive analytics
Dell Services Shop Floor solutions help accelerate innovation, produce quality products at high profit margins and reduce the cost and effort of compliance. By combining Dell’s cross-industry experiences, the ability to resell SAP software, and deploy hardware solutions to core implementation services, Dell is positioned to be an all-in-one provider for any manufacturing environment and is further executing on its strategy to be an end-to-end solution provider to customers.
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell will be exhibiting in booth 217 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
- Dell support for SAP HANA and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to be available worldwide in the third quarter of 2014; Dell support for SAP HANA and VMware vSphere 5.5 on the PowerEdge R920 is scheduled to be available worldwide in June.
- Dell SAP Shop Floor solutions are currently available in North America, EMEA and India.
- For more information about Dell solutions and services for SAP HANA, please visit here.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
* Benchmark results based on best SAP SD Two-Tier results as of April 2014. For the four-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 25,451 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R920, 4 processors / 60 cores/ 120 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-4890 v2, 2.80 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 37.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 1024 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014011). For the two-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 10,253 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R720, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2697 v2, 2.70 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 30 MB L3 cache per processor, 256 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014017). For the latest SAP SD Two-Tier results, visit http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
Dell and Dell PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
SAP, SAP HANA, Adaptive Server, SAPPHIRE and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 370
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 138
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 555
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 360
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 342
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 344
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 7, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 106
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 7, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 119
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 718
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Feb. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 785
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 2, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 409
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Feb. 2, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 851
Learn how IoT, cloud, social networks and last but not least, humans, can be integrated into a seamless integration of cooperative organisms both cybernetic and biological. This has been enabled by recent advances in IoT device capabilities, messaging frameworks, presence and collaboration services, where devices can share information and make independent and human assisted decisions based upon social status from other entities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Heydt, founder of Seamless...
Feb. 1, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 940
The IoT's basic concept of collecting data from as many sources possible to drive better decision making, create process innovation and realize additional revenue has been in use at large enterprises with deep pockets for decades. So what has changed? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Prasanna Sivaramakrishnan, Solutions Architect at Red Hat, discussed the impact commodity hardware, ubiquitous connectivity, and innovations in open source software are having on the connected universe of people, thi...
Jan. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 726
WebRTC: together these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Cary Bran, VP of Innovation and New Ventures at Plantronics and PLT Labs, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it may enable, complement or entirely transform.
Jan. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,146
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, showed how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants received the download information, scripts, and complete end-t...
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,216
For manufacturers, the Internet of Things (IoT) represents a jumping-off point for innovation, jobs, and revenue creation. But to adequately seize the opportunity, manufacturers must design devices that are interconnected, can continually sense their environment and process huge amounts of data. As a first step, manufacturers must embrace a new product development ecosystem in order to support these products.
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 812
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, discussed how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the dat...
Jan. 30, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 789
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT’s direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
Jan. 30, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,268