|By Business Wire||
|June 3, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it has extended its longstanding collaboration with SAP and is introducing several new Dell solutions that enable customers to simplify their environments running SAP® solutions without business disruption, moving to a real-time cloud-ready platform that applies the right level of performance to the needs of the application.
By extending its leadership to open-architecture and virtualized environments, leveraging unique IP from its software acquisitions and introducing new service offerings, the new Dell solutions help customers make more strategic business decisions and get a better handle on rising data demands.
Dell’s PowerEdge R920 has been certified by SAP for scale-up deployments of the SAP HANA® platform, which allows easy scaling of server memory capacity in deployments and helps reduce the need to “rip and replace” when systems are upgraded. This gives customers the ability to buy what they need today, with the confidence that their infrastructure can keep pace as their needs increase.
In collaboration with VMware and Red Hat, Dell is helping customers move their SAP solutions closer to the cloud with new virtual-environment and broader open-architecture support for SAP HANA. This gives customers the freedom to incorporate modern technologies into their mission-critical application environments without having to choose between price and performance. The new offerings include:
- Support for virtualized instances of SAP HANA in production environments: All single-server appliances for SAP HANA based on the Dell PowerEdge R920 now fully support SAP HANA and VMware vSphere® 5.5 in production environments. By extending the capabilities of SAP HANA and VMware vSphere beyond testing and development, customers can now further manage their environments running SAP HANA using the same tools they use to manage their VMware-virtualized datacenter, saving time and IT costs.
- Support for running SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: To maintain consistency in customers’ server environments, Dell worked with SAP to certify the PowerEdge R920 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in addition to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for running SAP HANA. Customers now have the option to choose the operating system that best suits their data-center standards and needs, allowing for better allocation of limited resources.
In addition, the Dell PowerEdge R920 and R910 servers have been certified by SAP to run SAP HANA and Dell Compellent storage has been certified as a storage solution for SAP HANA. These certifications enable Dell to participate in SAP’s program for SAP HANA tailored data center integration using these certified solutions. Through participation in the program, customers can leverage their existing Dell hardware and infrastructure components for their SAP HANA-based environments, providing further choice for organizations even when working in heterogeneous environments.
Dell’s other recent database achievements in support of SAP solutions include:
- World record-performance on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark for both two- and four-processor systems running Linux and SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE)*.
- Extensive integration achieved between Hadoop and SAP HANA, as well as reference architectures for the analysis of unstructured data.
Dell introduces non-disruptive transformation services for environments running SAP solutions
Dell Services announced two new offerings for SAP solutions that ease and accelerate the modernization of mission-critical environments, enabling customers to update and overhaul their technology infrastructure to support more agile business-oriented landscapes and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Dell ZeroIMPACT Migration Services for SAP HANA: Customers can transition from outdated IT environments to contemporary environments, including those running SAP HANA, with minimal downtime and reduced risk. After evaluating legacy and new environments side-by-side, the legacy environment continues running while migration activities take place. Dell’s enterprise software solutions, including SharePlex and Foglight, capture and queue all transactions occurring during the migration and then sync them to the migrated system.
- Dell Test Harness Modernization Assessment for SAP HANA: By providing a side-by-side database comparison with SAP HANA and Dell’s Managed Virtual Hosting Datacenter, customers can perform technical validation in less than four weeks, improve business efficiency and achieve higher return on investment by getting more value from their implementations of SAP HANA.
Dell unveils specialized manufacturing solution
Dell is expanding its support of SAP HANA into the manufacturing environment with its Dell Services Shop Floor solution. This solution integrates with the SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) and SAP Manufacturing Execution applications on SAP HANA, and is deployable on standard or ruggedized Dell Venue Pro tablet devices running Windows 8 software and Microsoft Office 365. This provides enterprise and plant personnel with the intelligence and visibility to respond quickly to disruptions in the manufacturing process and provide them with the information and tools required to return the process to conformance. It also enables customers to:
- Create a paperless shop and digitize business processes with Dell Venue Pro tablets running Windows 8 software
- Standardize enterprise resource planning (ERP) and third party-system connectivity
- Integrate machine data across multiple platforms into a cohesive landscape, available for predictive analytics
Dell Services Shop Floor solutions help accelerate innovation, produce quality products at high profit margins and reduce the cost and effort of compliance. By combining Dell’s cross-industry experiences, the ability to resell SAP software, and deploy hardware solutions to core implementation services, Dell is positioned to be an all-in-one provider for any manufacturing environment and is further executing on its strategy to be an end-to-end solution provider to customers.
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell will be exhibiting in booth 217 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
- Dell support for SAP HANA and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to be available worldwide in the third quarter of 2014; Dell support for SAP HANA and VMware vSphere 5.5 on the PowerEdge R920 is scheduled to be available worldwide in June.
- Dell SAP Shop Floor solutions are currently available in North America, EMEA and India.
- For more information about Dell solutions and services for SAP HANA, please visit here.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
* Benchmark results based on best SAP SD Two-Tier results as of April 2014. For the four-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 25,451 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R920, 4 processors / 60 cores/ 120 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-4890 v2, 2.80 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 37.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 1024 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014011). For the two-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 10,253 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R720, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2697 v2, 2.70 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 30 MB L3 cache per processor, 256 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014017). For the latest SAP SD Two-Tier results, visit http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
Dell and Dell PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
SAP, SAP HANA, Adaptive Server, SAPPHIRE and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,298
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,207
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 946
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,252
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 972
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,130
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 788
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,286
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,108
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,346
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,085
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,109
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 622
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 747
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,611
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,359
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,650
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,370
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,276